Every time you apply mascara in the morning, you are sure to get lost in daydreams of eyelash extensions. Effortless, dramatic, and transformative. This addicting trend in the beauty industry is sweeping the nation—and for all of the right reasons! But if you’re anything like us, you probably have a million questions. How much do lash extensions cost? Are lash extensions worth it?
And speaking of which, how long do eyelash extensions last?
Today, we’re tackling your questions floating around these lovely, lengthy lashes, so you’re well informed before you book an appointment. Get answers to the questions above and a few more common lash questions, including:
- What are lash extensions?
- How long do eyelash extensions last?
- Are lash extensions worth it?
- How can you keep your natural lashes healthy?
- Where should you go to get eyelash extensions?
We’ve got you covered in this lash extensions 101 guide.
Besides drop-dead gorgeous and the ultimate time-savers, what are eyelash extensions anyway?
Put simply, lash extensions are small, synthetic fibers that are carefully attached to the base of each natural eyelash. When applied properly, these little lashes make a big difference, so that short and sparse eyelashes become full, long and luscious.
Eyelash extensions come in a variety of different lengths, diameters, and styles. They attach to each eyelash with lash adhesive (aka glue) designed specifically for the eyelash area. If you have sensitive skin, there are also adhesives and under eye gel pads made specifically for you!
There are three main types of lash extensions—mink, synthetic and silk. You can read about the differences between mink vs. synthetic vs. silk lashes here. Regardless of your choice, your lash technician will help create the best lash curl and length for your eye shape, natural lash size and makeup preference.
Now onto the main question: how long do lash extensions last?
Generally, most salon-applied eyelash extensions stay for anywhere from two to four weeks. This takes into account that some lashes will fall out prematurely, especially within the first couple of days.
However, the answer varies greatly because it depends on how experienced your eyelash technician is, what adhesive is used, the life cycle of your natural lashes, and, most importantly, how you care for them.
To answer the question “Are lash extensions worth it?” we have to answer another question—how much do lash extensions cost?
Eyelash prices range dramatically. But to keep things simple, a full set of lash extensions costs from $115 to $300. Fills range from $45 to $100, depending on the studio. Despite the price tag, many lash babes consider extensions to be well worth it.
As with most beauty enhancements, there are pros and cons to lash extensions. Taking a look at them can help you decide whether lashes are worth it for you.
Pros of Lash Extensions
- Transform your face. It’s not just your eyes that benefit from lash extensions. You’ll look more put together and have an added ‘wow’ factor that is difficult to ignore. Eyelash extensions open up the face and add a feminine flair. It’s an upgrade that your entire face will appreciate.
- Say Bye to Mascara. You won’t need to restock those tubes of mascara when you have long and full lashes every day. You’ll already have #lashgoals without product.
- Save time. Many lash extension lovers spend less time on their everyday makeup routine. Who doesn’t enjoy rolling out of bed with flawless lashes? Plus, because lashes are customizable, the lashes enhance your natural beauty. Makeup may become optional, and we’re here for it!
- Weightless feeling. Unlike false lashes, lash extensions are made to feel light and airy. There’s no feeling of heavy eyelids and drooping lashes. Just make sure you’re going to a skilled lash technician.
Cons of Lash Extensions
- Avoid water and steam. Trips to the saunas, steamy showers and other high heat activities can cause major lash extension loss. To make the most of your extensions, you’ll have to steer clear or minimize these activities.
- No more oil-filled products. Your favorite eye cream, serum or moisturizer might be on the chopping block. Because oil can break down the lash adhesive, it is not welcome in your new routine. This applies to makeup remover, skincare and anything that comes near your peepers.
- Lash Maintenance. Let’s be real. Lashes need love. And that includes your lash extensions. When you leave the studio, you’ll have to take care of your extensions to stay fresh and beautiful. This means brushing your lashes and ditching oil-filled products, among other things. You can learn more about lash care and making your lash extensions last below!
Part of the answer to “How long do lash extensions last?” really depends on proper care. If you love your lashes, they will love you back.
When it comes to keeping your lashes happy and healthy, we have three words for you: aftercare, aftercare and… aftercare.
After you leave the salon, the longevity of your lashes is in your hands. Keep reading to see the do’s and don’ts when it comes to taking care of your lashes!
Don’t Get Your Lashes Wet For 24-48 Hours
Although eyelashes can and should get wet, avoid getting them wet for the first 24 to 48 hours so that the glue can set properly. The amount of time you should wait is different for each adhesive, so listen to your lash technician’s instructions!
Don’t Sleep On Your Stomach
Yes, we understand. It’s not easy to switch to sleeping on your side or back if you are a stomach-sleeper! However, lashes do not particularly enjoy being squished into a pillow for eight hours. If you can, try to keep your lashes off of your pillow, especially during the first day or two. Additionally, you may find it useful to switch to a silk pillowcase!
Use Oil-Free Makeup
The oil found in makeup and remover products is renowned for breaking down the adhesive on your lash extensions. Unfortunately, this may lead to premature lash loss! Because of this, oil-free makeup, removers, and mascara are the way to go. Trust us—your lashes will thank you!
Keep Your Lashes Clean
After the first 24 to 48 hours, it is okay (and recommended) to clean your lashes daily. Just make sure to use a gentle brush and an oil-free cleanser! Afterward, brush your lashes with a disposable or reusable lash brush, depending on your preference.
If you follow this complete guide to lash extension care and find a trustworthy lash artist with plenty of experience, say hello to years of beautiful lashes!
So… what’s the secret? It’s actually quite simple. Don’t chase low prices and take care of your lashes! While an experienced lash technician may be more expensive, you get what you pay for.
When it comes to your natural lashes’ health, it is important to find a lash artist with adequate experience and positive reviews. You can check out our 10 Best blogs to find the top lash studios in your area. Here’s to full and fun lashes!